1. Community Services/Volunteerism. Completion and return of a signed copy of the attached Community
2. Letter of reference from a current teacher or employer. If you are unable to get a letter of reference from
a teacher or employer, have a pastor or non-family member who can attest to your character and work ethic
write a letter for you.
3. Additional Information. We ask that you do not include additional information. Information (excluding
transcripts and letter of reference) will not be considered by the selection committee.
Griffin-Crescent Alumni Chapter
Request Scholarship Application
SCHOLARSHIP CRITERIA: Application Deadline: April 30, 2018
1. Applicant must be a current student or have accepted admission to Albany State University for 2018-19.
2. Applicant must be a good student with a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA.
3. Applicant must show evidence of community service or volunteerism.
4. Applicant must submit the following materials:
(1) A completed scholarship application
(2) A current high school transcript (Sealed)
(3) Two (2) recommendations/letters of reference: one from your current professor or teacher;
one from a community service representative or employer. See Community Service/Volunteer
Letter of Recommendation form
(4) A video or typed double-spaced essay containing 500 - 800 words. The essay must be written
on one of the following topics:
(a) Discuss issues facing high school graduates or college students in 2018. What is the #1
issue? Include discussion on how students can overcome those issues.
(b) What can I do now to have a positive impact on the world or on politics in America?
(c) What are the best indicators of college success? Include discussion of how your current
skills prepare you for success in college and life.
5. Selection of the award recipients will be based on the following criteria:
(b) Community service/volunteerism
(C) Demonstrated financial need
(e) Extracurricular activities
(f) Demonstrated financial need
6. Scholarships will be awarded for the fall semester. Recipient must be a current student at Albany State
University at time of award. The award recipient will receive $1000 at the beginning of the fall semester.
7. After successfully completing the fall semester, submit a video/written summary describing your
accomplishments and barriers experienced during that semester. This must be submitted by December 21,
2018 in order for the award recipient to receive the remaining portion of the scholarship $500. The total
award is $1500.00
8. Submit application packet to:
Albany State University Alumni Association
Griffin-Crescent Chapter P.O. Box 365 Red Oak, Georgia 30272
The Griffin Crescent Alumni chapter has been providing scholarships to local Albany State Students in the Griffin and Metro Atlanta area since 1992. Each year the Griffin-Crescent Alumni chapter awards two scholarships to graduating seniors looking to attend Albany State University and live in the Griffin and Metro Atlanta areas.